Seniors are one of the largest and fastest-growing demographics in the United States. As they age, it becomes increasingly important for them to stay connected with their loved ones and have access to emergency services. A cell phone can be a lifesaver for seniors, but many cannot afford the high cost of a new phone and service plan.
Verizon offers a variety of free cell phones and service plans for seniors. These programs are designed to make it easier for seniors to stay connected and have access to the resources they need.
Who qualifies for a free cell phone from Verizon?
To qualify for a free cell phone from Verizon, you must be a resident of the United States and meet one of the following requirements:
- Be 65 years of age or older
- Be a participant in the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program
- Be a participant in the Lifeline Assistance Program
What types of free cell phones does Verizon offer?
Verizon offers a variety of free cell phones for seniors, including flip phones, smartphones, and basic feature phones. Some of the most popular models include:
- Alcatel GO FLIP V
- Kyocera DuraXV Extreme
- Samsung Galaxy A10e
What service plans does Verizon offer for seniors?
Verizon offers a variety of service plans for seniors, including both prepaid and postpaid plans. Some of the most popular plans include:
- Verizon Lifeline: This prepaid plan offers 1,000 minutes of talk, 1,000 text messages, and 1GB of data each month for $9.25 per month.
- Verizon Go Unlimited: This postpaid plan offers unlimited talk, text, and data for $65 per month.
- Verizon 55+: This postpaid plan offers unlimited talk, text, and data for $55 per month for customers 55 years of age or older.
How to get a free cell phone from Verizon
To get a free cell phone from Verizon, you can visit a Verizon retail store or call Verizon customer service at 1-800-922-0204. You will need to provide proof of income and/or proof of participation in a government assistance program. Once you have been approved, you will be able to choose a free cell phone and service plan.
Benefits of having a free cell phone from Verizon
There are many benefits to having a free cell phone from Verizon, including:
- Stay connected with loved ones: A cell phone can help seniors stay connected with their loved ones, even if they live far away. Seniors can use their cell phone to call, text, and video chat with their family and friends.
- Access to emergency services: A cell phone can be a lifesaver for seniors in an emergency. Seniors can use their cell phone to call 911 or another emergency number if they need help.
- Peace of mind for family members: Knowing that their loved one has a cell phone can give family members peace of mind. Family members can know that they can reach their loved one at any time, even if they are not home.
Tips for choosing a free cell phone from Verizon
When choosing a free cell phone from Verizon, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Consider your needs: Think about what features are most important to you. Do you need a phone with a large screen? A long-lasting battery? A loud speaker?
- Choose a phone that is easy to use: Some cell phones can be difficult to use for seniors with limited dexterity or vision. Look for a phone with large buttons, a clear display, and simple controls.
- Ask about customer support: Make sure that Verizon offers good customer support for the phone you choose. This is important in case you have any problems with your phone or service.
Additional tips for seniors using cell phones
- Keep your phone’s battery charged.
- Carry your phone with you at all times.
- Program your phone’s emergency contacts into your speed dial.
- Learn how to use your phone’s features, such as calling, texting, and using the internet.
- Be careful about what personal information you share over the phone.
- Do not open attachments or click on links in emails or text messages
A free cell phone from Verizon can be a great way for seniors to stay connected and have access to emergency services. There are a variety of free cell phones and service plans to choose from, so seniors can find a plan that meets their needs and budget. If you are a senior or know a senior who could benefit from a free cell phone, visit a Verizon retail store or call Verizon customer service to learn more.